Friday, March 29, 2013

Easter Treats

Really simple Easter treats that anyone can pull off, Easter Cupcakes
Easter Treats
I love creating fun desserts for my kids on holidays.  It is tradition in my house to have something fun to celebrate special days.  Okay, here comes the Mama says dance in the rain part.  Cupcakes are fast and easy and can come out of a box.  My little sister let me in on her secret of substituting buttermilk for water when using cake box recipes.  The results are a rich cupcake that you cannot tell came from a box.  Legoman prefers my cupcakes over Publix. 

Okay, I never use a full quart of buttermilk.  Here is a tip for the buttermilk.  You can freeze the leftover portions into ice cube trays to use later, or you can make your own out of milk and lemon juice.  Here is what you do.  Add 1 tablespoon of lemon to a one cup measuring cup.  Fill it up to the one cup line with milk.  Let it set for 5 minutes.  You now have a good substitute for buttermilk.

Now comes the fun part, decorating your cupcakes.  You don't have to be a gourmet baker, just add some festive candy.  Now, you have got a dessert that your kids will be excited about.  I tinted regular store bought frosting green.  Popppy Cat was excited about that (green is his favorite color).  I added toothpicks to marshmallow bunnies and poked them into the cupcake and added some jelly bellies.  What is it about Jelly Bellies that makes them so addictive?  I love them!  So much flavor in a little jelly bean.

So, there you have it learning to dance in the rain using simple techniques that your kids think are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment