Yum
Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, February 2, 2018

Real Food Can Still Be Fun

Groundhog Pancakes - Dairy Free, Egg Free, Corn Free, and No Refined Sugar
Happy Groundhog's Day!

Since my kids were little we have always enjoyed Groundhog's Day. We always watch Phil, awaiting his weather prediction. I love the tradition and how formal they make the event.

Pinterest has all kinds of crafts and food ideas to celebrate the fun. I wanted to share my clean eating version of the fun. My pancake recipe is dairy free, egg free, and corn free.  Perfect for those who have food allergies or sensitivities.


Here is what you will need to make the pancakes.

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp coconut oil

Instructions:

Combine the 1 tbsp flax seed with the 1/4 cup warm water; then set aside for at least 5 minutes to make flax egg.

Add flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, sea salt, maple syrup, coconut or almond milk, coconut oil, and flax egg together until mixed. Do not over mix. I love using a cast iron skillet for making these, as it cooks them perfectly without sticking.  For the groundhog drop a small circle of batter on the pan, followed by two smaller circles at the top for the groundhog ears.  Then make two more smaller circles next to the groundhog these will be for his cheeks.

Once complete you are ready to assemble your groundhog. Use what you have on hand to make the eyes; I used blueberries. I used a half of a raspberry for his nose and a few small slices of apple for teeth. Stack the cheeks on top of the groundhog head, followed by the blueberry eyes, raspberry nose, and apple teeth. Dried fruit is a good option too. You could use raisins, dried cranberries, or coconut strips. Either way your kids are sure to be delighted with this fun breakfast! I know mine were.

Building memories and starting traditions with your family is what it is all about. Isn't it? I feel good knowing that I am helping my kids make healthy choices when it comes to food.

I would love to hear how you celebrate this fun day with your family. Comments are welcome. 😊

Have a great day even if 'ole Phil did predict 6 more weeks of winter. 😜

Blessings,
Bridget








No comments:

Post a Comment